Thursday, May 10, 2012

Screen Burn-in

It is time to get back to blogging more often. The topic of today is screen burn-in. I bought my plasma TV back in February of 2011 and I am experiencing burn-in. I see light lines from cable channels that are broadcasted in 4:3 aspect ratio. I also see symbols and lines from some of the video games I play.
I knew the risks when I was buying my TV, so I am not shocked but just surprised it can happen so easily. When I first got my TV I did the following:
  1. I used grey bars instead of black when possible on cable TV channels
  2. Enabled pixel shifting
  3. On my Blu-Ray player, I kept the screen saver and auto-shutdown enabled
  4. I also calibrated my display to avoid unnecessary high brightness and contrast levels
After doing some online research on how to reverse screen burn in over the next few days I will be trying the screen burn in repair feature on my TV.  Depending on how long it took to burn in those images, it might take up to 4 times the burn-in time to remove those images. So for an example:
  • If you watched the NBA playoffs with a non-transparent scoreboard for a month, 2 hours each day
    • 30 days x 2 hours x 4 hours of recovery =  240 hours of recovery time
I will post my results after a few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment